(duration 8 hours)
Your tour will begin with a pick up at your hotel in Guatemala City at approximately 7:00am. We will then make our way to The Western Highlands region, home to quaint and colorful mountain villages, highland lakes, pine forests, and the majority of Guatemala’s indigenous people. This is the region most travelers familiar with Guatemala think about when daydreaming of a trip to this beautiful country.
Upon arrival to Panajachel we will take a public boat to cross Lake Atitlan and visit Santiago Atitlan, where you’ll learn of the local Saint “Maximon”. Enjoy the vibrant colors and local flavor of this village.
Santiago is the most popular lakeside settlement outside Panajachel, and many atitecos (as its people are known) cling to a traditional Tz’utujil Mayan lifestyle. Women weave and wear huipiles (tunics) embroidered with brilliantly colored birds and flowers, and the town’s cofradías maintain the ceremonies and rituals of la costumbre, the syncretism traditions and practices of Mayan Catholicism. There’s a large art and crafts scene here as well.
After enjoying Santiago, we will continue back to Panajachel where you’ll have free time for lunch and exploring.
Panajachel is a pre-Columbian town of Kakchiquel origin, settled next to the river with the same name and on the lakeside of Atitlán. The town witnessed the final battle between Spaniards and their Kakchiquel allies against the Tzujiles and it also was a settlement point for the Franciscan missionaries who founded a convent nearby.
In the afternoon, you’ll be returned to Guatemala City.
- Hotel Pickup from Most Hotels in Guatemala City
- Boat Fee
- Cruise Across the Lake to Santiago de Atitlan to Visit Santiago Atitlan
- Optional Gratuities
- Food and Beverages
- Walking/hiking boots are recommended, along with a hat, sunglasses, sun block, camera, bug repellent, thin pants, rain gear, long-sleeve t-shirts, and personal medication.
- Minimum of 2 passengers (adults) is required for the tour to run. If the minimum size is not reached, the tour is subject to cancellation and all tickets are refunded or rescheduled.
- Tours include bilingual guide (English and Spanish).
- Please contact us if you need a guide in any other language. French, German and Italian in private services, subject to additional costs and guide availability.
- For groups of 10 or more, please contact Gray Line Guatemala.
- You must contact Gray Line Guatemala by email at least 48 hours prior to departure to confirm the details of your tour (pick up time and place). Contact information will be printed on your voucher.
- Full Legal Name
- Passport Number
- Pick up Place: Name of Hotel in Guatemala City, Guatemala
- On the day of your tour please present your printed voucher confirmation