You will be picked up from your hotel in Guatemala City at approximately 7:00am. We will then make our way to The Western Highlands, the region of Guatemala that most travelers familiar with Guatemala think about when daydreaming about a trip to this country. The region is home to quaint and colorful mountain villages, highland lakes, pine forests, and the majority of Guatemala’s indigenous peoples.
Arrive at Chichicastenango Market and begin your walking tour inside the market. It is the center of the town and heart of commercial life for “maxeños” (name given to the natives of Chichicastenango, derivative from Max that means Tomás in Quiché language). The merchants go down every Thursday and Sunday to the central plaza to sell their products in this impressive indigenous market that has changed very little throughout the centuries. Explore the pathways of the market and view the colorful handicrafts and produce offered by the local people of the region.
In Chichicastenango, we will also visit Santo Tomás Church, built in 1540 over the base of an archaeological pre-Hispanic temple. This church is a splendid example of colonial architecture, as the Mayan and Latino influence is mixed throughout both the interior and exterior of the building.
Then, continue to the town of Panajachel, which sits on Lake Atitlan. You will have free time for lunch (not included) and exploring. Visit Santander Street and enjoy a spectacular view of Lake Atitlan, considered one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. Three spectacular volcanoes, Tolimán, Atitlán and San Pedro form the natural frame of the lake itself. It has a surface of 125 square kilometers and sits 1,560 meters above sea level.
In the afternoon, enjoy a relaxing return transfer back to Guatemala City.
- Roundtrip Hotel Transfers from Guatemala City or Antigua
- Bilingual Guide (English and Spanish)
- Food and Beverages
- Optional Gratuities
- Walking shoes, hat, sunglasses, and a camera are recommended.
- Minimum of 2 passengers (adults) is required for the tour to run. If the minimum size is not reached, the tour is subject to cancellation and all tickets are refunded or rescheduled.
- Tours include bilingual guide (English and Spanish).
- Please contact us if you need a guide in any other language. French, German and Italian in private services, subject to additional costs and guide availability.
- You must contact Gray Line Guatemala by email at least 48 hours prior to departure to confirm the details of your tour (pick up time and place). Contact information will be printed on your voucher.
- Full Legal Name
- Passport Number
- Pick up Place: Name of Hotel in Guatemala City, Guatemala
- On the day of your tour please present your printed voucher confirmation.